Etsy

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Longest a telephone has been left off the hook

The longest a telephone was ever left to ring without being answered was 17 months and 5 days. It was due to Marcia Luffoni of Parma, Italy calling her boyfriend, Luca Baggabona before they set off on a round-the-world cruise on 5th June 1975. “I called Luca to ask him to remember to bring his Gucci verruca sock, but before he answered I remembered I had forgotten to pack my Prada travel insurance document holder.” Unbeknownst to Marcia, Luca had already left his house, so his telephone went unanswered. Luca arrived at Marcia’s house before she returned to her telephone, and they left in a hurry, as they were running late. Thus, Marcia’s telephone remained off the hook, and Luca’s rang until he returned home on the 10th November 1976. “I am just glad the phone was ringing, and not answered,” Luca said later, “As even our combined salaries could not have paid off such a bill.”

©2008 James Mathurin

No comments: